The Ex Granny Wrangler

30 November 2006

The Merry-Go-Round

Well bring in the clowns, my life just became a fairground! It's taken a while but i thought it was now high time i introduced you to the latest addition to the list at the top right hand side of this page. May i present Candy Floss: Pink and sweet but that's about it. Bless.

After my treacherous adventures 'oop north' with Lemony, i vowed i wouldn't take anymore jobs with Alzheimer's patients. I have also vowed never to smoke in bed, never to have a one night stand and never EVER to succumb to England's hideous fashions this season. Of course as i write this I'm in bed with a pair of black footless tights on and a Marlboro Light. And any offers of a one night stand would be eagerly accepted at this stage.

My newest Alzheimer's ouma has just headed off to the day centre for the day. The things we do for money huh? Although to be fair, Candy Floss, whilst sharing a vague confection-connection with Lemony, has nothing else in common with her. She is a real sweetheart who lives in a haze of confusion, bewilderment and unhappiness, and is fully aware that she's losing it, even if she doesn't know who i am from one minute to the next and has revolving conversations which spin at a dizzying pace. She thinks I'm from Australia. I have decided to let that one slip. My heart just breaks to see it.

Hands up who didn't realise i had a soft side?

3 comments:

Katie Possum said...

oooh, that's so sad. when my gran died my grandpa reverted back to a time before her. So he thought he was going off to the army and had no idea who we were, and in his moments of clarity he would just cry about missing her, and "being crazy". It was really heart-breaking. If i get like that I wanna be put out of my misery like we would do for a dog we loved. know what i mean?

Anonymous said...

So she's the kind of person who asks, "Do you know who I am?" and it's not a rhetorical question.

The xGW said...

Kate: if there's one thing this whole experience has taught me, it's that i never want to get old. ever. infact i'm really hoping the world goes tits up before then.

Kyk: I'm lost for words. You are brilliant :)