The Ex Granny Wrangler

23 October 2006

Of Feet & Mouths

So, like, I can be a little outspoken at times. I know, I know, you wouldn’t think, would you? Well last night I can safely say I truly outdid myself.

The dinner conversation went something like this…

Me: What a lovely painting you have framed on your wall over there
(nose begins to grow faster than a cabbage in a cow pat)
Did one of your grandchildren paint that for you?

BFG: Excuse me?

Me: That painting which bears some semblance of a chicken (gulp) chatting with a see-through fish and what appears to be two fried eggs flying in the sky with a lopsided punk-ass star. (The exact wording isn’t important). Did one of your grandchildren paint it?

BFG: (Insert look of sheer horror/amazement/nausea) That is a Braque.

Me (aside): What the f*ck is a Braque?!? Other than vomit on a canvas.

BFG: He’s a very famous artist.

I pour a dash of single cream into my steaming bowl of humble pie.

Me: Oh. I didn’t realize. It looks like something I could have painted when I was in grade one.

Can anybody spell “apoplexy”?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you still get paid if she pops her clogs.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Bet you went a bright red.

Maybe it was painted by Braque when he was a little kid?

The xGW said...

kyk: even at 95 i don't think this old duck's going anywhere, apoplexy or not. It didn't exactly help either that she was an Art teacher in her day!

mark: Now, see why didn't i come up with that at the time?! Can i keep you? pretty please?

Anonymous said...

You can keep me, in a little matchbox, in your pocket, always armed with a sharp comeback.

Warning: This product requires batteries and does not always operate immediately.

The xGW said...

All the best things in life require batteries it would seem ;)

Anonymous said...

Haha... I'm impressed. You provided a good quick comeback. You don't need me anymore!

Or did you sit there for hours wondering how to respond?

The xGW said...

I'm proud to say it hit me like a bolt from the blue.