The Ex Granny Wrangler

27 March 2007

Kumbaya Se Ma.

The world's bloody Do-Gooders are starting to irritate the living sh*t out of me (insert additional and totally unnecessary gratuitous expletives for effect).

'CO2 emissions', 'Recycling', 'Organic' and 'Fairtrade'. Four words which, were it not for my unfortunate tendency to enjoy profanity, would be four letter words.

All of the above: a desperate attempt by the majority to 'do the right thing'. For god's sake people. We're a bunch of puppets, all running around tearing our hair out over which colour bin we should put things into. Empty envelope? Chuck it in the paper bin. Oh no wait, it has one of those window thingys. Better rip it open and take out the window and put it in the bin created especially for bloody window thingys. Which is pink with stripes. By the way.

We are forced to feel some kind of Catholic guilt on steroids for even contemplating taking a flight anywhere. But anywhere. I'm sorry but when i feel like going home i sure as f*ck won't be dialling Rent-A-Mule for a trans-continental trip across Africa. I'd never get that kind of leave and besides, donkeys enjoy a healthy dose of flatulence and the levels of CO2 emissions would have me reciting countless Hail Marys and regretfully flagellating my sinful thighs with a stick of organic rhubarb (which i'll make sure is disposed of in the little bucket labelled 'compost' once i'm done) for weeks on end.
And then there's the whole Buy Organic orgy. Forgive my pedantry but doesn't 'organic' denote something which is living? F*ck i can't remember a time i enjoyed a steel tomato as much as the one i had last night and as for that last consignment from BionicVeg last week, well, they're now doing a ball-bearing-less grapes. This sh*t is dreamed up for people who want to be able to jump up and down in their Priuses screaming 'look at me look at me, i'm doing 'the right thing'! I give goats to villages at Christmas, my children don't have nasty pesticides on their food (pity), i buy bananas for the Fairtrade logo because i don't realise the only people benefitting from it are the strategy fat cats and the packaging people who picked their noses for an hour and then shat out a piece of piss-poor design. My car cost me an arm and a bloody leg but hey, it's environmentally friendly and besides, everyone will stop their nasty cars and stare, agape, worshipping me because i embody all that is socially attractive and they will bring their children begging me to anoint them with organic extra virgin olive oil! And because i'm such a f*ckwit I'll continue to believe that i'm most probably the single most perfect human being on the planet. My GOD i rock.'

What the hell makes such a tiny, muddy, colourless little island so important? Do you honestly believe you'll single-handedly make a difference? Try explaining to a starving disease riddled child in the third world that it's in his best interests to rather walk to the hospital 4 towns away or that he should eat something organic. Eating anything is one hell of a privilege for a terrifyingly large percentage of the planet. Do something closer to home. Donate money to AIDS/Cancer/Malaria research, hell, develop a strategy for keeping your 12 year old's legs closed or something, but for god's sake, the world has been getting hotter for a billion years and no matter what we eat we should be grateful that we have food on our plates in the first place. That's a fair trade isn't it?

28 comments:

mike said...

I ate a hotdog the other day and the temperature went up 2 degrees. Then I burped and it came down 3 degrees. Then I breathed and it went up 5 degrees. Then I rode a bicycle and it went down 4 degrees. Then...

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to note that in terms of its overall life cycle, a Humvee consumes considerably less energy (for construction, maintenance, fuel etc) than a Prius. Naturally (hah!), the perception that something is "good for the environment" is far more important than the reality of the matter.

Dan Lurie said...

someone's uptight.

i'm all for global warming, if it means being able to wear a t-shirt in London's winter or when the polar ice caps melt you'll be able to lye at the beach in Joburg.

It's not going to happen overnight. we'll learn to adapt. Shame, all those people with R35mil houses in Clifton will have to fork out a little more for waterproofing. I see a gap in the market for underwater real-estate. Lightbulb!!

I need a job

Champagne Heathen said...

The whole system needs to be overhauled. At least in terms of Fair Trade & getting African communities back on an equal track. And people do not like having to really move out of their everyday lives & habits. So they take solace in doing small things that very easily could amout to nothing, in hoping that the system will magically change.

As you say, token purchases & token gestures to ease their consciences, not to really make a change.

Phlippy said...

OMG this stuff is brilliant - added your site as a link [I just had to!]

Anonymous said...

You're so fluffy when you're cross. :)

Can I steal this vent and post it? Due credit to you, of course.

The xGW said...

mike: step away from the hamburger or we're all fucked.

kyk: very interesting indeed. put that in your organic pipes and smoke it!

o-d: methinks you just found yourself a job.

champers: precisely!

phlippy: *pretends to blush* - was doing a little overhaul this morning and have gladly returned the favour. i may not have a 'winky' but i sure as hell laughed my head off at Urinal 'How To'!

phuzzy: geez at least he asks this time. Tsjoe!

Phlippy said...

Firstly.. "Catholic guilt on steroids" OMG ROFLMAO. Now that I have read the post in its entirity and not briefly as I had too much running through my tiny little brain. Good points. No real argument or weight to add here.

The Lush said...

TWG - I do so love it when you rant. More!

Anonymous said...

"... I may not have a 'winky ..."

Au contraire GW, if comments on a previous post is anything to go by :)

The xGW said...

the shul: i do so love to rant.

parenthesis: please point out the post where i declared i had a penis and i promise i'll go and correct it. i am a little concerned here.

Anonymous said...

Well no, you yourself don't have one. However you do collect them, don't you? And I quote "you should see my collection of itsy bitsy teeny weenies" ... :)
https://www2.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=30298741&postID=8882744813210641804&isPopup=true

The xGW said...

parenthesis: no no darling, it's itsy bitsy teeny weenies not 'wieners'. Lace and little embellishments are my weakness.

Anonymous said...

Remind me to tell you the "pickled dick" joke someday :)

The xGW said...

thegrannywrangler@gmail.com - use it. use it NOW!

Anonymous said...

I know deep down inside you are a tree hugging hippy GW! You don't have to put on this cool face, we can all see through it.

Last night I missioned for about half an hour trying to fit all the pigging cardboard that came with my new office chair into a tiny ass green plastic bin!

My right leg is now sore from kung-fu kicking the cardboard into small segments.

P.S. You were in Clapham on saturday? And u never told me! Shame on you.

The xGW said...

mark: i've stashed my birkenstocks in my cupboard... right next to the wooden club stained with baby seal blood. Next time i'm in London fancy a drink then?

Anonymous said...

Weenies not 'wieners' are your weakness? You don't like hot dogs? :p I must admit to being partial to both :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing witty to add, but an anecdote for the theme...
Two herds of fillet steaks... cows... owned by the same farmer. Herd A lives in a field, exposed to sunlight and fresh air, and eats green green grass. The other herd, Herd B, lives in a shed, never sees the light of day and eats orange flavoured chocolate biscuits - Jaffa cakes. For three marks, which of the herds is 'organic' and why?

The xGW said...

parenthesis: each to their own...

tp ;): depends which one's playing the piano.

mike said...

I want to eat the cows that eat the jaffa cakes.

Damn that makes the taste nerve things in my brain fire up like little soldiers, thinking about that nice juicy jaffa-cookie eating steak.

Yummee.

Anonymous said...

I was keen on maybe meeting the real GW, but I'm not so sure after hearing of your baby seal blood stained wooden club. Thats sick.

Email me next time your in the area and i'll maybe re-consider.

Anonymous said...

Well Mike, luckily for you you can. The Jaffa-cake-eating cows are packaged in your local store as 'Organic'. Reason - there is no fertilizer in the Jaffa cakes, but fertilizer is used on the green green grass.

And its true...

Yours Truly: The cow wasn't playing the piano. He was jumping over the moon while cat played his fiddle

The xGW said...

mike: Spur could be making a bloody fortune right about now...

mark: i've never used it. RoboSnoWomble 2.0 (TM) did. On an innocent child.

tp: was the cat playing with his fiddle or just having a fiddle in general? see now you've gone and got me all confused.

Anonymous said...

Yours truly: The riddle definitely needs a verb in the second line otherwise it makes no sense. The use of 'played', could quite easily be replaced by:
Hey diddle diddle, the cat had a fiddle whilst the cow jumped over the moon...

The xGW said...

tp: oh verbs, how do i love thee? let me count the ways. now don't you have a rally to organise somewhere? ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to rally up some support for a camera-less photographer... :)

The xGW said...

tp: in that case **MWAH**